As it was a dark, rainy, cloudy - just horrible day outside and I had a terrible longing for chocolate desserts, I decided to search for a low-calorie chocolate muffin recipe and found this lovely one on this site. And because they looked so delicious and also claimed to be quiet healthy, I fetched all the ingredients and made them! The amazing thing is that they only take about 20 minutes to do and taste absolutely amazing. Not too sweet and not too healthy! So here we go.
- 1 cup nonfat or low fat milk, dairy or nondairy
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all purpose flour –OR- whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F or 175°C.
2. In a medium-sized bowl mix up all the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda
5. Add the wet ingredients and then slowly the dry ingredients in the larger bowl. Mix it until you get a nicely combined, smooth chocolate-brown dough.
6. Fill the dough in a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and bake them for 16-18 minutes.
Nutrition for 1 cupcake (unfrosted):
Calories: 108.7, Fat: 0.6g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 15.4mg, Carb: 29.7g, Fiber: 1.2g, Sugars: 20.5g, Protein 2.2g
And there you have them. The incredible moist chocolate muffins who can be eaten without any guilt. As if already mentioned above they are not so sweet, so they have a rich chocolate taste without being overpowering with sugar. The best thing is that you won't eat more than ususal, because they don't taste "healthy" and so you're actually thinking that you are eating a 300 calorie muffin :) Of course, you can eat any icing or frosting on top of that.
I hope you like this little baking post and tell me whether you like these healthy options!
Wish you a wonderful day! Love,